Monday, September 22, 2008

Hurricane Ike

That Tree that we loved


Pictures from the ranch while Hurricane Ike was barreling towards Houston



Well, the Wednesday afternoon before Ike hit, the bp campus where Ryan works closed; so Ryan, Jack and I decided to head out of town for a long ranch weekend. Fortunately, we headed out before the big rush Thursday morning. We enjoyed a nice weekend at the ranch far away from the storm and spent some good quality time with Grandpa & Grandma M and of course, Baylor, the dog. Jack loved Baylor and even said her name a few times. We monitored the storm from there, and then decided to head back on Monday after hearing that we had power back on in our house. Fortunately, there was no damage done to the inside of our house. We lost a few flowering trees, and there was a lot of debris in the yard that took an entire day to clean up. All in all Katy fared pretty well and was up and running in no time unlike Houston where some of our friends are still without power. Our prayers our with the people of Galveston who lost so much and have experienced so much devastation from Ike.

On a side note, I must share a funny story that happened while Ryan and I were cleaning up the yard. We lost one of our favorite trees, and although we are not sure what type of tree it was, we called it our mesquite tree because it reminded us of one. Anyhow, we were trying to save it by pushing it back up and tying it to the fence, but once we did that the tree snapped and broke. We decided to clear it away in the hopes that it might regrow. After all, there is still a small shoot of leaves coming up from the ground. While Ryan was clearing the tree away, he managed to step on and smash one of our day lily plants. I got upset with Ryan and told him to stop stepping on the day lily. He stopped, looked at me and said, "I don't care about that plant.....I, I loved that tree." I couldn't help but laugh...it was so cute and so sweet how he loved that tree so much! So, enjoy the photo of that beautiful tree that we miss and loved so much!

No comments: